The Cosmetology faculty believes in the right and privilege of individual access to occupational education designed
to prepare individuals for successful and productive citizenship. The faculty is committed to providing positive
educational and training experiences that will give students the knowledge and skills needed to excel professionally,
experience personal and professional satisfaction, promote economic growth and contribute to a better society.
The purpose of the Cosmetology Instructor Training program is to provide students the opportunity to prepare, train,
and develop skills necessary to teach cosmetology or any practices related to personal appearance. This training allows
individuals to enter a skilled workforce which will promote personal and economic growth, contribute to community
stability and provide an improved quality of life.
The certificate program is intended to produce graduates who are prepared for employment as an entry-level
cosmetology instructor. Additional education beyond the cosmetology instructor licensure, specifically a bachelor’s or
master’s degree, is required for employment in Alabama’s two-year college system. Program graduates are to be
competent in the academic areas of communications, computer literacy, and human relations and in the technical areas
of curriculum development, lesson planning and presentation, instructional methods, and classroom management.
Reid State Technical College will accomplish program objectives by providing students with a comprehensive
general education and technical training in the core area of Cosmetology Instructor Training. The occupational skill
preparation should meet the Alabama State Board of Cosmetology recognized skill standards. The college will ensure
program quality through internal certification of graduate competencies and external licensure of graduates and
program approval by the Alabama State Board of Cosmetology.
The philosophy and purpose of the Cosmetology Instructor Training program is consistent with that of the
Program Outcome Objectives
- Program graduates will be proficient in communication, computation, and interpersonal skills.
- Program graduates will be technically proficient.
- Program graduates will obtain licensure by the Alabama State Board of Cosmetology.
- Program graduates will be successfully employed in the field.
- Employers of program graduates will be satisfied with their education and training.
- Education equivalent to the completion of 12 grades in school.
- Application for Admission from the Office of Student Services.
- Official high school transcript or GED and college transcript(s).
- Documentation of current work experience (at least one year of experience as an active practicing
The Cosmetology Instructor Training course of study is designed as a two semester program, fall and spring
semesters only. A maximum of two students may be enrolled at the same time. This program is designed as an
independent study course. The cosmetology instructor training student will participate in cosmetology classes as a
student instructor. It is the student instructor’s responsibility to prepare course work and prepare for exams as